Saturday, May 24, 2014

Sonnets: Playlist for May 23, 2014



SONNET NUMBER  21

By Anthony Maulucci

By loving you still I may be living
in the past but my heart, like the sun,
burns the same way now as then and I cannot
consign our days of love to oblivion.

Each day revives a recollection
of your tender kisses and flashing eyes
when we were drunk with the wine of love
and our glass could never hold enough.

Loving you still, I keep my youth alive.
In all the seasons of our love affair
from spring pastoral to darkening winter

we planted some hardy perennial.
I’ve come to gather them in my ark of days
which is why I can never leave this place.


REFLECTIVE MUSIC: Cantilena No. 3 by Carlos Guastavino







Sonnet  30: When to the sessions of sweet silent thought 

By  William Shakespeare  



When to the sessions of sweet silent thought 

I summon up remembrance of things past, 

I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought, 

And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste:


Then can I drown an eye, unus'd to flow,


For precious friends hid in death's dateless night,


And weep afresh love's long since cancell'd woe,


And moan th' expense of many a vanish'd sight;


Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,


And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er


The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,


Which I new pay as if not paid before.


But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,


All losses are restor'd, and sorrows end.


REFLECTIVE MUSIC: Come away, come sweet love by John Dowland






I Have Not Lived


By  Walter Clyde Curry 



Though half my years besiege the aged sun,


     I have not lived. My robust preparation


     Lags tardily behind fit consummation,


Droops sweatily in courses just begun.



Oh, I have loved and lusted with the best,


     Plucked momentary music from the senses;


     I’ve kissed a lip or two with fair pretenses


And wept for softness of a woman’s breast.



My mind rebounds to nether joys and pain,


     Toying with filth and pharisaic leaven;


     I know the lift up sundry peaks to heaven,


And every rockless path to hell again.



I wait the hour when gods have more to give


Than husks and bare insatiate will to live.


REFLECTIVE MUSIC: Sonata for Violin & Piano in F minor (4th movement), Op. 80 by Sergei Prokofiev






Sonnet 

By  Alice Moore Dunbar-Nelson 


I had not thought of violets late,


The wild, shy kind that spring beneath your feet


In wistful April days, when lovers mate


And wander through the fields in raptures sweet.


The thought of violets meant florists' shops,


And cabarets and soaps, and deadening wines.


So far from sweet real things my thoughts had strayed,


I had forgot wide fields; and clear brown streams;


The perfect loveliness that God has made,—


Wild violets shy and Heaven-mounting dreams.


And now—unwittingly, you've made me dream


Of violets, and my soul's forgotten gleam.


REFLECTIVE MUSIC:  Fantasie for Violin & Harp, Op. 124 by Camille Saint-Saens






Teach Me


By  Donald (Grady) Davidson  



Teach me, old World, your passion of slow change,


    Your calm of stars, watching the turn of earth,


Patient of man, and never thinking strange


    The mad red crash of each new system’s birth.



Teach me, for I would know your beauty’s way


    That waits and changes with each changing sun,


No dawn so fair but promises a day


    Of other perfectness than men have won.



Teach me, old World, not as vain men have taught,


    —Unpatient song, nor words of hollow brass,


Nor men’s dismay whose powerfullest thought


    Is woe that they and worlds alike must pass.



Nothing I learn by any mortal rule;


Teach me, old World, I would not be man’s fool.


REFLECTIVE MUSIC: The Beatitudes by Arvo Part



No comments:

Post a Comment