Saturday, March 1, 2014

Poems about Pleasure: Playlist for February 28, 2014


Are They Shadows
Are They ShadowsAre They Shadows
by Samuel Daniel

 

 

Are they shadows that we see?

 

And can shadows pleasure give?

 

Pleasures only shadows be

 

Cast by bodies we conceive

 

And are made the things we deem

 

In those figures which they seem.

 

 

But these pleasures vanish fast

 

Which by shadows are expressed;

 

Pleasures are not, if they last;

 

In their passing is their best.

 

Glory is most bright and gay

 

In a flash, and so away.

 

 

Feed apace then, greedy eyes,

 

On the wonder you behold;

 

Take it sudden as it flies,

 

Though you take it not to hold.

 

When your eyes have done their part,

 

Thought must length it in the heart.

 
REFELCTIVE MUSIC: Liquid Shadows by Yolanda Kondonassis (not available) 

Stolen Pleasure


Stolen Pleasure

 

By  William Drummond of Hawthornden  

 

 

My sweet did sweetly sleep,

 

And on her rosy face

 

Stood tears of pearl, which beauty’s self did weep;

 

I, wond’ring at her grace,

 

Did all amaz’d remain,

 

When Love said, “Fool, can looks thy wishes crown?

 

Time past comes not again.”

 

Then did I me bow down,

 

And kissing her fair breast, lips, cheeks, and eyes

 

Prov’d here on earth the joys of paradise.



REFLECTIVE MUSIC:  Joy to the person of my love (Anonymous, 16th century)


 
My sweet did sweetly sleep, pearl, which beauty’s self did weep;

I, wond’ring at her grace,
When Love said, “Fool, can looks thy wishes crown? Time past comes not again.” Then did I me bow down, And kissing her fair breast, lips, cheeks, and eyes Prov’d here on earth the joys of paradise.  

The River
By  Gregory Orr    

 

I felt both pleasure and a shiver

 

as we undressed on the slippery bank

 

and then plunged into the wild river.

 

 

I waded in; she entered as a diver.

 

Watching her pale flanks slice the dark

 

I felt both pleasure and a shiver.

 

 

Was this a source of the lake we sought, giver

 

of itself to that vast, blue expanse?

 

We’d learn by plunging into the wild river

 

 

and letting the current take us wherever

 

it willed. I had that yielding to thank

 

for how I felt both pleasure and a shiver.

 

 

But what she felt and saw I’ll never

 

know: separate bodies taking the same risk

 

by plunging together into the wild river. Are they shadows that we see?

REFLECTIVE MUSIC: Summer Music by Richard Rodney Bennet

 

 


 

This Ecstasy 

By  Chard DeNiord    

 

It’s not paradise I’m looking for

 

but the naming I hardly gave a thought to.

 

Call it the gift I carried in my loneliness

 

among the animals before I started

 

listening to the news. Call it the hint

 

I had about the knowledge that would explode.

 

In the meantime, which is real time

 

plus the past, you’re swishing your skirt

 

and speaking French, which is more

 

than I can take, which I marvel at

 

like a boy from the most distant seat

 

in the Kronos Dome, where I am one

 

of so many now I see the point

 

of falling off. There’s not enough seats

 

for us all to attend the eschaton.

 

This ecstasy that plants beauty

 

on my tongue, so that if it were

 

a wing, I’d be flying with the quickness

 

of a hummingbird and grace of a heron,

 

is so much mercy in light of the darkness

 

that comes. Who would say consolation?

 

Who would say dross? Not that anyone

 

would blame them. All night I hear

 

so many echoes in the forest I’m tempted

 

to look back, to save myself in hindsight,

 

where all I see is the absence of me.

 

Where all I hear is your voice,

 

which couldn’t be more strange.

 

How to go on walking hand in hand

 

without our bodies on the path

 

we made for our feet, talking, talking?

 

REFLECTIVE MUSIC: Gerald Finzi: Elegy for Violin/Piano

 

 

Song of the Open Road 

By  Walt Whitman  

 

 

1

 

Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,

 

Healthy, free, the world before me,

 

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

 

 

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,

 

Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,

 

Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,

 

Strong and content I travel the open road.

 

 

The earth, that is sufficient,

 

I do not want the constellations any nearer,

 

I know they are very well where they are,

 

I know they suffice for those who belong to them.

 

 

(Still here I carry my old delicious burdens,

 

I carry them, men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go,

 

I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them,

 

I am fill’d with them, and I will fill them in return.) And can shadows pleasure give?

 

From this hour I ordain myself loos’d of limits and imaginary lines,

 

Going where I list, my own master total and absolute,

 

Listening to others, considering well what they say,

 

Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating,

 

Gently,but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

 

I inhale great draughts of space,

 

The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine.

 

 

I am larger, better than I thought,

 

I did not know I held so much goodness.

 

 

All seems beautiful to me,

 

I can repeat over to men and women You have done such good to me I would do the same to you,

 

I will recruit for myself and you as I go,

 

I will scatter myself among men and women as I go,

 

I will toss a new gladness and roughness among them,

 

Whoever denies me it shall not trouble me,

 

Whoever accepts me he or she shall be blessed and shall bless me.


REFLECTIVE MUSIC: Serenade for String Orchestra by Edward Elgar

 

 

 

 

From this hour I ordain myself loos’d of limits and imaginary lines,

Going where I list, my own master total and absolute,

Listening to others, considering well what they say,

Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating,

Gently,but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

I inhale great draughts of space,

The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine.

 

I am larger, better than I thought,

I did not know I held so much goodness.

 

All seems beautiful to me,

I can repeat over to men and women You have done such good to me I would do the same to you,

I will recruit for myself and you as I go,

I will scatter myself among men and women as I go,

I will toss a new gladness and roughness among them,

Whoever denies me it shall not trouble me,

Whoever accepts me he or she shall be blessed and shall bless me.

From this hour I ordain myself loos’d of limits and imaginary lines,

Going where I list, my own master total and absolute,

Listening to others, considering well what they say,

Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating,

Gently,but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

I inhale great draughts of space,

The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine.

 

I am larger, better than I thought,

I did not know I held so much goodness.

 

All seems beautiful to me,

I can repeat over to men and women You have done such good to me I would do the same to you,

I will recruit for myself and you as I go,

I will scatter myself among men and women as I go,

I will toss a new gladness and roughness among them,

Whoever denies me it shall not trouble me,

Whoever accepts me he or she shall be blessed and shall bless me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment